Start date: Immediately
Salary: $60,000.00 to $90,000.00 per year
Location: Acheson, AB
Inside/Outside Plant Network Technician – Fiber Optic Splicer
ROHL Global Networks Inc., the premier turnkey telecommunications company, headquartered in Acheson AB. We specialize in telecommunication construction across Canada, the US and long fiber optic deployment in remote regions across North America. In addition, we are proud to own and operate our own fiber optic network, spanning from Edmonton AB to Fort St John BC. Our network carries all the internet and communications bandwidth for several major national carriers and smaller service providers.
We are currently looking for an Inside/Outside Plant Network Technician – Fiber Optic Splicer to join our team. The Inside/Outside Plant Network Technician – Fiber Optic Splicer is responsible for overall fiber optic placing and splicing activities required to establish end-to-end fiber connectivity between locations.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Perform all work in accordance with industry standards.
- Read and follow engineer’s instructions and specifications.
- Interpret buried underground and aerial telecom facilities in records, on maps and in the field with clarity and detail.
- Make recommendations for changes in running line or construction methodologies and submit revisions to OSP Maintenance Manager using CAD, Visio, or another suitable program.
- Troubleshoots, tests, splices, validates, and repairs both loose tube and ribbon optic cable in both indoor and outdoor settings.
- Perform accurate cable termination for all patch panels and network equipment
- Construct proper splice case including, but not limited to, grounding, bonding, isolation, slack storage, and sealing.
- Prepare and maintain splicing records, schematics, and diagrams.
- Build graphical worksheets using Visio (or other required programs) for contractors use.
- Enter and maintain outside plant records and prepare engineering field notes.
- Participate in engineering, permit, and construction processes to support project contracts.
- Performs routine maintenance and recognize and repair route issues including Hand Hole cleanup, sign placement and weed control.
- Perform underground utility locates.
- Point of Presence maintenance, network equipment installation and commissioning.
- Valid Class 5 driver’s license with clear driving record
- Ability to work from home or remotely
- Associate Degree or Diploma in Civil, Mechanical or Electrical Engineering would be an asset
- 5+ years of experience splicing fiber optic cable
- Strong knowledge of fiber optic theory which includes fiber loss, connector types, and the different types of fiber
- Knowledge of design techniques, tools and principle involved in production of technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
- Demonstrated ability to read and interpret blueprints and schematics, and maintain organized and accurate daily records and reports
- Experience with DC power systems
- Working knowledge and experience using computerized operations such as CAD and Visio would be an asset
- Proficiency with Microsoft applications
- Communicate effectively with internal and external stakeholders regarding engineering problems
- Highly detail-oriented, self-starter individual with excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Willing to take ownership of a project, able to make reasoned and sound decisions.
- Ability to travel out of town during the week or on weekends
- Ability to work in all weather conditions, confined spaces, isolation
- Adaptable to flexible work schedule, such as nights, when required
- Ability to problem solve and work independently
WHAT WE OFFER:
- Competitive salary commensurate with experience
- Comprehensive benefits package
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Application Deadline: 2021-06-06